Friday, June 7, 2013

The Wash

 
Taking in the Wash
by Ethel Romig Fuller

In the blue dusk when the dishes are done,
I take in the wash--it has hung in the sun
Since early morning--towels flung over
Lavender bushes, the heads of red clover;
Pillowslips, napkins, bearing the stamp
Of white currant clusters, now dewy-damp;
(My tall lemon lilies, my row of sweetpeas,
Are not so deliciously fragrant as these!)
Sheets, which have billowed all day in the wind--
I linger to fold them, when they're unpinned...
Dusk, and a garden, four o'clock-starred;
A basket of clean clothes in a back yard...
Something of this quiet interlude stays--
Something none may define--with a woman(man)always.

I love to hang the sheets and pillowcases (slips) on the line.
Awww!  The sweet fragrance.
However, I must always remove them from the line in the evening as
raccoons traveling through love to wipe their feet on the sheets.
Now isn't that a silly thing for a raccoon to do?
Have you ever had that happen?
Do you hang things on the line?

Happy weekend, dear friends!
Enjoy the sunshine!

12 comments:

Adrienne said...

I love clothes hung out on the line - and I love the smell! I remember my mother taking in the wash when I was growing up. I didn't know what a big job laundry was for her in those days. Love the little pretty that's hanging on your line!
~Adrienne~

Laurie said...

I have that same doily! I've been asking Ken since we moved here to put up a clothes line. We had one growing up, and the fresh sheets on the bed were shear Heaven. I'd inhale deep, just for the awesome scent. I long for that again! Love the prose.

Linda P said...

It's been good weather for hanging out the washing this week. I had rather a lot of it after last week's guests, but like you I love the smell and feel of sheets that have been drying in the sun and the breeze.

Karen's Place said...

Makes me happy seeing linens on the line to blow in the breezes. At my previous home I did it often. Now with hoa's it's a no, no. It was always a labor of love done by choice. I couldn't imagine keeping up with the boys laundry this way. But lovely vintage linens, tea towels and pretty colorful tablecloths....sighing.

Angela McRae said...

How lovely! I don't have a clothesline but often have thought it would be nice to have one. And the raccoons? I never knew that! (Just read that part to my husband and he said, "Huh! That ain't right!" And I agree!)

La Tea Dah said...

The sweetest of posts! I love your photo and the poem speaks of exactly how I feel about laundry on the line!

I have a clothesline right outside my back door (along my porch) and I use it often! Last night I hung a patchwork quilt out to dry. Clothes dried on a line are so fragrant! My best memories of hanging clothes on the line are from our times in Arizona during the winter months. Desert fragrance is wonderful too!

It's Just Dottie said...

I love my clothesline too.
Smiles, Dottie

GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh, that is too funny! I guess even Raccoons need to get washed up from time to time. ;-)

Jeanie said...

The racoons walk on the line? How bizarre is that?! Our line is up north where there is no dryer -- that line holds a lot -- mostly towels and swim suits!

Tracy said...

Sweet image, Marilyn... and love the poem! I don't hang laundry out much, as hubby has allergies. So I miss that fresh outdoors-y scent to the laundry. Have never had any raccoon's pass by here! That's probably an OK thing... LOL! Happy Week ((HUGS))

somepinkflowers said...

{{ oh oh
i grew up with clothes lines
& those little flower*print bags
to keep the clothes pens in !!


aaahhh ...
heaven !!

to take things down
for my mom
for my grandmother !!

such happy memories ...


now,
shadey yard
except for the very front ...
trees with birds
& squirrels
& such,
so
no ...

darn }}

Vee said...

Freshly dried linens from the line are among my favorite things. I no longer have a line because of near neighbors who burn a lot, but I've thought of having a rack for the deck. I think I'd have to be alert for critters. Have enjoyed looking around on your lovely blog. I'm not certain, but we may have met before...