Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Crown and Crumpet Tea


Tea at the Crown and Crumpet tea "cafe" was part of my celebration in San Francisco.
Originally this tea shop was located in Ghiardelli Square, but had re-opened the
week before I arrived in San Francisco's Japantown.
It is located in the entrance to a three story building.
It was fun to walk through the other floors and see the "baby doll" clothes
for the younger women.  I loved seeing the playfulness of the store, not part
of the tea shop but an interesting combination in one building.

I commented to the owner that their tearoom had a very different feel.
His response was that they had a desire to make it more of a cafe feel.
Yes, I could see that it was a bit more casual.
After being open only one week they were very busy.
The median age range seemed to be 20's and 30's
and there were definitely men having tea there, treating their special ladies.
It was a very different feel from their original shop and
seemed to be appealing to more local residents instead of tourists
and the ladies that lunch crowd.

The food was the same as I remember from my past visit.
The sandwiches were fresh and tasty.
They included egg salad, cucumber, salmon with cream cheese, and chicken salad.
The crumpet and scone were delicious with traditional clotted cream and strawberry jam.

The sweets I am guessing were made elsewhere, but quite good.
The sign on the wall by my table said "Push All Buttons" which seemed to portray the general playfulness.
I chose to drink their special tea blend of Ceylan, Assam, Darjeeling, it was a very nice black tea.

Loving tea, having afternoon tea, and playfulness,
 I would say this was a special treat for my celebration.

15 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

This looks like a delightful tea room. I am glad you were able to visit there as a part of your birthday celebration. Everything looks so fresh and inviting.

I'm interested in the concept of serving locals, crossing age and gender barriers. It's a good idea. So many niche tea rooms are closing. Maybe this will be the saving grace.

What are the "baby doll" clothes that you are referring to?

Mary said...

Looks like a fun place but definitely a modern version, not a cozy Victorian style English tea room!!! What was the tea you were drinking? Do you not put milk in your tea Marilyn?

I notice the little pot of cream with the scone - but have to tell you that is nothing like real fresh clotted cream from Devon or Cornwall. Some day I will just have to take you home with me to have a real 'cream tea' in a little Westcountry village on the moors with a brook babbling through the garden.......then you'd have the real thing and really love it, ha! ha!

Glad you enjoyed your teatime though -
tell us more about the visit to SF please.

Hugs - Mary

Rosemary said...

Such a fun place... and drawing the younger crowd is a plus! Perfect celebration, Marilyn!

Adrienne said...

I loved Crown and Crumpet when they were in Ghirardelli Square. I know I would enjoy having tea in their new location. Thank you for sharing them with us today.
~Adrienne~

Marilyn Miller said...

I was asked what "baby doll" clothes are. It is a trend with young Japanese girls to dress like baby dolls with ruffles, short and puffy skirts, wild leg coverings. A feel of the old baby doll pajama look from the 1950-1960's.

Karen's Place said...

Looks like a fresh and attractive cafe for tea. Nice they re-opened in time for you to enjoy a visit there. Happy Birthday month!

Jeanie said...

A friend had once shared photos of the other C&C. This looks equally charming and the food is quite beautiful! I am always amazed at how lovely a simple cup of tea, sandwiches and treats can become so eloquent and dazzling!

I'm so glad you had this special experience. It clearly is something to celebrate! My goodness -- all this and your birthday isn't even quite yet, right?!

Bernideen said...

Looks like a lovely place! Glad you got to go!

Laurie said...

You're having such a wonderful time Marilyn, I wish I were there with you! So so pretty.

Linda P said...

It's interesting to see tea shops/cafes in other places and how the tea and cake is served there.

Joy said...

What a fun spot for a special celebration!

koralee said...

I have not been to the new location only the older one...loved it! I just soooo enjoy San Francisco! xo

Relyn Lawson said...

I am hoping to get back to San Francisco this summer. I can't think of much that would thrill me more.

Gigi Thibodeau said...

What a sweet and fun place for tea--and for a birthday celebration! I have never been to San Francisco, and I'm just aching to go. Hopefully someday soon. In the meantime, your post has me thinking I need to make some scones next week and maybe have a friend or two over for tea. Maybe we can push a few buttons while we're at it. xoxo

South Bay Ladies' Tea Guild said...

That looks like fun! I remember being in San Francisco before Crown & Crumpet opened at their Ghirardelli Square location, and peeking through the windows, but I never made it back to the City for long enough to go to tea. Then they closed that location and I was disappointed that I never got to go! I might have to plan it into my S.F. International Tea Festival trip for next year!