Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What would you miss?

 
 


The following is from Cheryl Richardson.  I thought it was worth sharing here.

As many of you know, the creative genius, Nora Ephron died recently after a long illness.  Nora was responsible for such wonderful films as Heartburn, When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, and her latest movie, Julie & Julia.  

While reading about Nora's vast, accomplished career, I came across an excerpt from her most recent book, "I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections."  The excerpt made me stop and think about my life.  It was a list of what she would and would not miss.  It's the "What I Will Miss" list that inspired this week's newsletter.  Have a look:

WHAT I WILL MISS 

My kids
Nick
Spring
Fall
Waffles
The concept of waffles
Bacon
A walk in the park
The idea of a walk in the park
The park
Shakespeare in the Park
The bed
Reading in bed
Fireworks
Laughs
The view out the window
Twinkle lights
Butter
Dinner at home just the two of us
Dinner with friends
Dinner with friends in cities where none of us lives
Paris
Next year in Istanbul
Pride and Prejudice
The Christmas tree
Thanksgiving dinner
One for the table
The dogwood
Taking a bath
Coming over the bridge to Manhattan
Pie
 
As I read through Nora's list, I thought about the little things that bring me joy that I'd miss - the things that often go unnamed as important.  Things like a bird's nest under construction that captures my attention each morning while I enjoy a cup of tea.  The way my cat Poupon covers his eyes with his paw when he naps, making me smile every time, regardless of how many times I see him do it.  Or, trees billowing in my backyard like soft sheets on a clothesline when a strong breeze blows.  And, of course, the beautiful, nuanced moments that occur when I connect with others.  

I wonder what you'd miss?  

And I wonder something else:  I wonder why we give so much attention to things that are not on the list.  

Just something to think about today...

++++++++++++++++++++
 I hope you will think on these things this week.
The photos above were take up in the Puget Sound area.
They remind me of Camelot, especially with the clouds touching the earth and water.
This I would miss and I would miss you.

11 comments:

Kathy Walker said...

Certainly worth spending the time to think about this...

Anonymous said...

the little things that bring me joy.

La Tea Dah said...

Much to think about as I start my day. Nora had it right -- she knew how to embrace the important things in life. Her contribution will be missed.

I love the pictures --- especially photo #2.

Enjoy a lovely day, Marilyn!

koralee said...

What a great message!! First off your images are beautiful and I sooo love visiting the Puget Sound..so much like my Vancouver and Vancouver Island.
Oh what would I miss...a billion things...I try to notice all the little small details in my life everyday....but sometimes those Big seemingly important ones take over...which are not important at all when we look at Nora's perspective. Yesterday I saw a beautiful tree for the first time after years of driving by it...I was sooooo mad at myself for not ever taking note of it's beauty before...I will never miss another chance to look at the tree when I drive by it now....I will soak up all it's beauty that I have missed before.

Thanks for this today...will be thinking about this all day long. xoxoxoxoxo

Laurie said...

Beautiful post Marilyn, I loved everyone of her movies, she was genius. My list of what I would miss grown longer every day. Walks in my yard, the smell of the seasons, the feel of grass under my feet. So much to think about. Thank-you for sharing this with us!

Balisha said...

I loved this post. I'm going to make a list of my own. I was a big fan of her writing, movies etc. I'm rereading I REMEMBER NOTHING right now. I loved I FEEL BAD ABOUT MY NECK too. She wrote about the little things in mostly women's lives... and made us think.
Balisha

Annie Jeffries said...

I'm thinking that after the first immediate and obvious thoughts, it would take some deep soul-searching and heart-searching to create a list like Nora's. For me to create such a list, I would then have to find the wherewithall to actually enjoy and incorporate some of those things into my life.

I think we all know what is special to us, but how much to we actually make real in our day to day life? With all my time now my own, I find that there is so much more I could be enjoying but don't pursue. Why is that?

Don is gone for several days and I've started making a list of the things I've accomplished on a daily basis. Some of it is the things one does to make life comfortable from day to day and that seems to be the stage I'm in now. Not having Don around has actually made me more conscious of daily activities that I was blind to before, or if not blind, found easy to ignore. Specifics? Too much to write in the comments but I think you may get the idea.

I think at the end of Don's absense, I will examine the list and perhaps even post it and muse upon it.

Anonymous said...

This is so thought-provoking Marilyn. I had kind of 'forgotten' about Cheryl Richardson; it is good to be re-connected to some of her writings.

Living overseas and so far away from my family and friends, there already is a 'What I DO Miss' list that periodically floats through my mind.

Your photographs are just beautiful. And I believe in Camelot. :-)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

I loved her movies. She was a gifted writer and brought joy to those who watched her movies. My fav was Sleepless in Seattle.

Blessings,
Sandi

S. Etole said...

The things we take for granted on a daily basis.

The simple feel and smell of fresh air is one of the things I missed when I spent 8 months recuperating in the hospital.

Jeanie said...

They are VERY like Camelot. How I loved Nora Ephron... Oh, I would miss such a lot -- Otsego Lake in the morning when I breakfast on the porch, walks in the woods at the lake, Rick's biker's tan, my bloggies, sushi and shrimp and anything with lemon, basil, my Gypsy box, the things that come from my camera and the memories that go with them, my friends, family and Rick, London, Paris, windmills, Christmas, books, digging in the garden, flowers... I'll stop now. And of course you know, I already miss Gyppy.