Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mrs. Haney's Home


The front entrance:

The back of the house:

The storm cellar entrance:
 
Oh I wish I could have stepped inside and remembered visits I had here
so many years ago.
The house has stood empty for a long time, but as part of the
Mitchell County Museum in Kansas now it soon will have a new purpose.
It stands near the county hospital and will be turned into a Ronald McDonald home.
I think Mrs. Haney would have liked that.

We lived in this town about 40 years ago and Mrs. Haney taught me
about the love of old homes, old time crafts, antiques, and herb gardens.
In fact, she told me about women at that time that were making a difference
in the world of herbs in America, such as Bertha Reppert and Adelma at Capriland Farms.
She also introduced me to the children's book illustrator, Tasha Tudor.

In an earlier life of this house, Mrs. Haney told me there were great parties
where carriages dropped dignitaries off at the front door.  There was a circle drive there then.
Generals in their uniforms and ladies in their full ballgowns would step up the steps
and into this lovely home.  This beautiful home had a past that shined and
soon very soon there will be new life shining there.

3 comments:

S. Etole said...

How wonderful that it will be put to such a good use. It's lovely.

Rosemary said...

Thank you for sharing this, Marilyn. Love the storm celler door.

Angela McRae said...

Oh, if this house could talk! Lovely!