Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Outdoor Living

Recently attending Portland's Yard, Garden, and Patio show I noticed a trend in outdoor kitchens.
There was a lovely setting at the show indicating the placement of the kitchen
 near your outdoor kitchen gardens.
It was suggested that canning outdoors could be efficient and pure pleasure.
After seeing these kitchens and garden displays, I tend to agree that cooking outdoors
would be a delight.

In the pink/red canning jars was Pink Pickled Turnips and Pink Pickled Cauliflower and Cabbage.
The recipes come from The Joy of Pickling, by Linda Ziedrich.
Do you make pickles from your garden?
Wouldn't you just love to have an outdoor kitchen near your garden?
I canned when my children were growing up, but haven't for a long time.
Maybe this year is the year I return to making pickles.

Here is the recipe for Pink Pickled Turnips:
(they were oh so pretty)
Makes about 2 quarts
2 pounds small turnips, peeled and quartered
Leafy tops of 2 to 3 celery stalks
4 garlic cloves
1 small beet, peeled and sliced
2 cups white wine vinegar
2 cups water
3 tablespoons pickling salt

Put the turnips, celery leaves, and garlic into a 2-quart jar.
Combine the vinegar and water, and stir in the salt until it dissolves.
Cover the turnips with this liquid.
Cap the jar and let it stand at room temperature for 10 days.
Eat the turnips right away, or refrigerate the jar.
The pickle will keep well in the refrigerator for a month or more.

14 comments:

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Wow, I love your photos, Marilyn. It would make so much sense to have an outdoor area for canning and one for frying fish! That way it wouldn't stink up my house. The picked turnips sound delish.

Rosemary said...

Wow, this is a true outdoor kitchen. What a rustic look. Thanks so much for sharing and for the recipe too. Susanna

Karen's Place said...

I'd love a outdoor kitchen. Can I hose it down for fast cleanup? Again another beautiful photo full of ideas. I so enjoy your blog.

Adrienne said...

I was sorry to miss the Home and Garden Show this year but so glad you are sharing it with us. Canning outdoors is what some of our ancestors used to do. My in-laws told me they used to have a stove in the barn so they wouldn't heat up the kitchen on hot summer days. Makes sense to me! Maybe I'll have to find a way to incorporate canning in my outdoor plans this year.
~Adrienne~

krys kirkpatrick said...

Very..very cool photos. I want to plant a garden so badly. But jeez I need time. I guess I need to rearrange my priorities. Are you not happy spring is showing it's beautiful face?

koralee said...

Oh my goodness...these turnips are soooo pretty...I would make them just to have on my countertop. An Outdoor kitchen would be fun! xoxo

Jeanne said...

Thanks for all you share.
I love that recipe too.
Love you
Jeanne♥

amherstrose said...

My Grandmother had a Summer Kitchen and that is where she did the canning of all of the bounty from her huge garden. It was a little building just to the back of her house and had a sink, a stove and old wooden tables.
I learned to can from my Mother and still enjoy it when I come across a wonderful bargain at the farmers market. Love to make pickes and jams. It would be amazing to use that grand outdoor kitchen in the photo. Thanks for sharing your latest adventure.

Mary Jane

amherstrose said...

My Grandmother had a Summer Kitchen and that is where she did the canning of all of the bounty from her huge garden. It was a little building just to the back of her house and had a sink, a stove and old wooden tables.
I learned to can from my Mother and still enjoy it when I come across a wonderful bargain at the farmers market. Love to make pickes and jams. It would be amazing to use that grand outdoor kitchen in the photo. Thanks for sharing your latest adventure.

Mary Jane

martha e said...

Fun post, Marilyn. Well, I do cook and can on my antique two burner griswold gas stove on my deck. It's not officially an outdoor *kitchen* but it works for me and I love it!
It brings back memories of my grandmother canning on her griswold on her back porch.

La Tea Dah said...

I love this outdoor kitchen! It is so inviting, quaint, and homey!

My cousin does all her canning outside. She really enjoys the experience.

Great post!

Angela McRae said...

I've heard of outdoor kitchens but not of outdoor canning! Thanks for clueing me in to what may be a new trend!

Annie Jeffries said...

I love the simple, rustic elegance of what can be achieved with two kegs and a wide board as a starting point.

Jeanie said...

This is the kind of thing that gets me to the max! Thanks for sharing the turnip recipe. There's a middle Eastern restaurant here that includes them on their sandwiches and sells them in their deli, but it doesn't look hard -- I could do this myself. They're so delicious -- and as you said, pretty, too!