Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Dollhouse Project


 My Dollhouse Project for July.
Each month is a different art form of a house.
This house is a picture of a house we saw in Thailand.
Of course I had to include an elephant and bird here too.
Since I was making one pillow I figured I would make another
for my aunt.  It is a picture of my aunt and uncle when they were young.
Soon it will go in the mail to her.

This is a fun project if you have never done something like this.
You just cut a piece of fabric the size of the
paper that feeds through your printer.  Iron it to the sticky side
of freezer wrap, which is also cut the same size.
Pick a favorite picture and print it to the size you want.
It feeds right through the printer and you have a fun photo on fabric.
Then it could be sewn into a quilt, on a tee shirt, or on a pillow.
Use your imagination.  If you make something with this idea,
let me know what you did.  I would love to see it.

Note:  if you think you will wash it you can set the ink
with a mixture of water and vinegar soaked in a light cloth,
then press over the top of the picture to help set it.
I have done this with other paints, but not computer ink;
so you might have to test it to make sure it works.

Enjoy and have fun, I did.

14 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Marilyn, your pillows are beautiful! What a great way to display your experience/journey and to keep memories to the fore. PLUS I love, love, love your bench! It is a (((((Quaker))))) delight!

PeggyR said...

I like what you are doing. My uncle made me a doll house years ago. Norm knocked it over in one of his falls, but it can be fixed and I plan to give it to my niece. Have fun with yours...

Marisa @ getting Back To Basics said...

What a great gift idea...I will have to put my thinking cap on because I will definitely want to try this out. Thanks.

krys kirkpatrick said...

Fun project...I do this all the time. You can actually find freezer paper cut in 8.5 x 11 sheets that come in a package...which makes it easier...or you can use a full sheet of label paper which is sticky on the back.

Trixie and Dustin of TheTeaDrinker.com said...

Beautifully done, MM! And very, very inspiring -- what a treat your Aunt has in store... xo, Trixie

Karen's Place said...

I'll have to give this a try Marilyn. I have so many family photos and this is a nice way to share them.

Donna said...

Love the pillow of Mom & Uncle Darrel! Hope I inherit it :)

Adrienne said...

Your pillows are wonderful! I've thought of doing some for family gifts - now you've inspired me to get going and do it!
~Adrienne~

Rettabug said...

Hi Marilyn,

Those pillows are real treasures! I love them in the sepia tones.
You would have loved to have seen the miniature doll house show that is here in Ohio this week. They had it on TV tonight & Oh, what fun! Making tiny little wooden vases...amazing.

fondly,
Rett

Britt-Arnhild said...

That's creative!

Annie Jeffries said...

What a restful place. I visited around at Meiners' site too. Lots of eye candy there.

Mary said...

Love this project - what a great job! I've never tried doing this with freezer paper, will have to give it a go when time permits.

Mary X

Graciel said...

Marilyn! This is my favorite one yet! How creative. :) And such a great keepsake from your trip. Truly an inspired idea for the house project. My goodness, what will you come up with next??

I love it,
Graciel

Jeanie said...

Good heavens -- I'm trying to catch up and you've been prolific! I'm loving all these posts -- the teapots and B&B -- but this one captures me to the max. I love this idea -- wish I had a printer of my own so I might not screw up the work printer. That would be embarrassing! Did you use laser jet or ink jet?