Friday, November 12, 2010

Little Teapots for Grown Up People


Have you ever walked into an Asian shop and seen tiny little teapots and cups?
For many years when I saw them I thought they surely made a lot of children's
teapots and cup sets.  Little did I know.
These little sets are actually for grown ups.

When my husband traveled to China many years ago he said
everywhere he went people were carrying jars with tea floating in them.
They would continually add water to their tea throughout the day.

Well the same goes for these little teapots.
The tea is put into the pot loose, then steeped the appropriate time.
After steeping the tea it is poured into another pot, which is
called a serving pot.  Then the tea is served in the small cups.
A cup traditionally holds three sips.
The tea can be re-steeped up to six to seven times, depending
on the tea used.  Oolong teas work very well for re-steeping.
So if given the opportunity, I hope you can enjoy many cups of tea served from
little teapots and sipped from little cups.  It is a real pleasure.

9 comments:

Steph said...

Wonderful post, Marilyn, and great photo! I've recently gathered some tinly little teacups like these for wuwo...and love them!

Jeanne said...

So beautiful and lovely to see indeed.
Love Jeanne

Linda Jennings said...

Lots of great information here, Marilyn! Nice post!!

somepinkflowers said...

hahahahahhhhaaaa...


i thought this
too--->
'''children's teapots and cup sets'''

:-)


only 3 sips?
get out!


{{ i so enjoy
popping in here
for Tea Love & Lore, missy! }}

Tracy said...

I love how they do tea in the East! Loved hearing this story, Marilyn. Happy Tea Time :o) ((HUGS))

Jeanie said...

The first time Rick brought me a gift from one of his Japanese travels, it was a tea set. It has been a favorite and I've loved it ever since (although I find myself using the cups for any number of things, mostly mise en place dishes!) What a wonderful post!

Alex Zorach said...

I love serving tea to guests in small teapots like this. I notice that it leads people to having a very different tea-drinking experience than when they drink tea in a larger teacup or mug.

Angela McRae said...

I recently tried a new tea that allowed for lots of steepings, and I so enjoyed just adding water and savoring each new version of this tea!

Relyn Lawson said...

I didn't know that either. Fascinating.