Thursday, November 18, 2010

Garden Delights

Portland has an amazing Community Garden program.
This garden is within walking distance of my home.
There was an old elementary school in the neighborhood that was not being used.
Two brothers bought it and turned it into a thriving business, which includes
restaurants, B&B, movie theater, and meeting rooms.
As part of the agreement with the neighborhood, they set aside a portion of the land
for a community garden.  The people that garden there take great pride in their garden plots.
One even has her name there, Dornal's Garden.

This week I enjoyed a book, Garden Voices by Carolyn Freas Rapp.
The book is short stories of other women gardeners and what their gardens have meant to them.
It is time to pass the book on to someone else.  Leave a comment on this post or email me
and I will include your name in a drawing to receive the book.
I will announce the winner on Monday.

9 comments:

amherstrose said...

My Garden has been a continued source of joy, anticipation, and often a wonderful respite from some of the stresses of daily life as a business owner. I enjoy spending time there whenever I have a spare moment, usually with a nice cup of tea.

The garden has now been "put to bed" for the Winter, but I enjoy seeing the Winter birds and watching the snow fall gently and settle on the branches and cover it in a white blanket until Spring.

My Mother was a wonderful gardener, and she was my first teacher in the garden. I am passing on the wisdom she shared about growing things to my nieces and nephews and so consider the garden part of her legacy.

I love the idea that an old schoold was given a new life in your neighborhood, Marilyn. Kudos to those who have the vision for making it a place that so many enjoy.

Mary Jane

christina said...

so glad the school went on to be used, for such a beautiful thing.
i adore all that pink surrounding the fence.
: )

Steph said...

I love community gardens! We are still enjoying lettuce, turnips, kale, spinach and beets from ours!

Kathy Walker said...

We love gardening. Our new house seems to have way too many critters...we will figure it out but in the meantime...no garden.

Annie Jeffries said...

Oh goody, Marilyn. This sounds like it might be our next destination place for lunch and a garden too!!!

Cindy said...

What a lovely story, so glad the communities are doing this more and more. your photos are like sunshine in my snowy world today. take care.

Jeanne said...

Sounds like a beautiful book.
Much love

The kiss of the sun for pardon
The songs of the birds for mirth
There is no place closer to Heaven
Than a garden here on Earth.

Love you
Jeanne♥

Relyn Lawson said...

I have been so moved by what you told me about volunteering to read with kids. It made me tear up. As a teacher, I can't tell you how wonderful a gift that is for the teacher and the child.

Jeanie said...

What a haven so close to home! Don't you love being able to walk places like that? They sounds like wonderful people to make this to share.