Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Livin' is Easy

Posted by Picasa
Canoes and water bring to mind summertime.
The song that runs through my mind is Summertime
and the Livin' is Easy.
But canoes and water also bring to mind a time
in my youth.
I loved going to summer camp, loved all the
water sports, including canoeing.
One summer long ago my mom decided to go
to camp with me as a counselor.
We arrived early and a group of us decided to go canoeing.
Now you must know my mom didn't swim.
Everyone wore life jackets.
It was a beautiful summer day on the Russian River.
Canoeing along we got caught in the currant
and surprise we were all in the water.
For most of us that was no problem, we could swim; but for my mom it was very scary.
Fortunately she was close to the canoe and held on until we could pull the canoe to shore.
So each time I see a canoe I think of my mom and that day on the river.
I guess the moral of the story is to know how to swim and always wear a life jacket on the river.
Be safe, soak up the sun, and enjoy the water this summertime.
***
The canoes in the picture were found at Trillium Lake in Oregon.

2 comments:

parTea lady said...

My kids grew up vacationing at a cottage on Ashby Lake in Northern Ontario every summer. We had a canoe and boy, they really are tippy. Very scary for a non-swimmer. Thanks for sharing this story from your youth.

Steph said...

We must by in tune because that's the song that was running through my head for my post today. :-) Beautiful canoes! I'm going to send you an e-mail about a personal note.