Monday, March 16, 2009

Aurora Colony Museum









Saturday I celebrated my half sisters and my March birthdays. We had lunch in a Aurora, Oregon sandwich shop, then spent some time walking through the Aurora Colony Museum. The museum had been running a quilt show, but had changed to a spinning show. I will show the spinning another day. The quilts in these pictures are part of the museums permanent collection. The log cabin baby quilt in the last picture is my favorite pattern, but I loved them all. The Aurora Colony was settled by a religious group coming from
Bethel, Missouri in the 1850's in hopes of finding utopia. They were similar to the Amish and were pacifists. There were several quilts in the permanent collection made by the first settler's to the colony. Each year the museum has a quilt show. One year they had people donate Sunbonnet Sue quilt squares for a quilt to be donated in an auction fundraiser for the museum. Even though I am an amateur quilter, it was fun to have my quilt square included in that quilt. If you ever travel through Aurora, Oregon, please stop by the museum for a step back in to time.

3 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Very interesting --- I have not been there but will put it on my list. I love all the quilts and discovered some new ideas here for some quilt blocks I have in my stash. Thanks!

:) LaTeaDah

PS: Again --- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Annie Jeffries said...

Fascinating. How far is Aurora from Portland????

Anonymous said...

What a lovely place.
I used to collect books with old quilts, but never any time for quilting any more.....